First post

When I discuss my field placement with individuals, I have always placed international within quotation marks. When reflecting on the meaning for those quotations I have two reasoning’s; I feel like Canadian and American cultures are very similar and as a dual citizen to Canada and the States I do not feel that this is a true international experience for me. However, I have realized that though I visit Ottawa frequently, I have not gained a significant amount of knowledge, immersed myself, or have experienced the differences between these cultures due to normalizing my own life experiences within these two countries. Also, though the cultures are similar I feel that there are still differences especially in regards to their social policies. I have realized that my international field placement is an opportunity to explore and gain insight into a city that I have always taken for granted.

Ottawa is a very diverse city culturally, which can be attributed to the individuals who have immigrated to Canada from various countries. The shelter through Cornerstone Housing for Women provides services to many of these individuals with their commitment to assisting in addressing the homeless population concerns.

I am completing my placement in one of the supportive housing environments through Cornerstone Housing for Women and have spent the past month getting acquainted with the residents and the agency’s expectations of me for the school year. I have been running a weekly group for three weeks, which is a cooking group to help develop skills and independence. I have been linked to four residents within the house, meaning I am the go to person that they can connect with on a one to one basis, and have been working on establishing rapport with these individuals.

On a personal note moving back to Canada entails moving in with my father, stepmother, and two half-siblings. I appreciate the opportunity to complete my placement in Canada because it means that I also get to be more involved in the daily lives of my siblings, who are in their teens.

Currently, I am splitting my time between Ottawa and Northern New York (my hometown). The travel time between places is about an hour and half, this allows me to stay connected and be supported by my loved in both locations.

Within the upcoming week, I will be headed further north in Ontario to my family’s cottage to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. This is one of my favorite holidays and I look forward to connecting with family members that I only get to visit with about twice a year.

For my upcoming blog posts, I hope to share the similarities and differences that I experience professionally and personally between Canada and the U.S.

Thank you for joining me for my first post!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

7 thoughts on “First post

1. Pat Shelly

Thanks for relating your experiences! I very much look forward to hearing more about what you find re: those differences in social policy! And- despite your dual citizenship, I see it as an international placement – it’s outside the boundaries of the US. And – it’s a bilingual society. How is your fluency in French?
    And – food, lodging, student budgeting in Canada – more or less expensive?
    looking forward to your next post!
    Pat

Reply
    1. kayleyle Post author

Hi Pat!
      Unfortunately I do not speak any French, though I am hoping to pick up some basics of the language since I am residing in Ottawa. My youngest siblings are currently attending a high school that has a French immersion program, so I am hoping that they will assist me in developing my skills.
      Overall I find a lot of things to be more expensive in Canada from where I grew up in Northern New York, regarding food and lodging (though I am living rent free with my family haha). In comparing Ottawa to Buffalo I would say food and lodging are pretty similar, gas is one thing that is definitely more expensive, and taxes are higher. However, one of the perks of moving from the States to Canada is the exchange rate, as it is currently $0.78 on the dollar.
      Thank you for your comment!

Reply
  2. unemployment loan

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and
    in accession capital to assert that I acquire
    actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you
    access consistently quickly.

Reply
  3. gunning

Hey there, I think yoսr site might be having browser compatibility
    issuеs. Whеn I look at your website in Safari, it looks
    fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it haѕ some overlapping.
    I just wɑnted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, superb bⅼog!

Reply