Why Stay for an MBA? Choosing the JD/MBA Directly after Undergraduate School

Written by: Grace Conrad, JD/MBA ’27

As a first-year JD/MBA student, I have been asked numerous times over the last year, “Why did you stay at UB for grad school?”

In June 2023, I graduated with a BS in Business Administration from the University at Buffalo, School of Management as well as my BA in Law from the School of Law. I have been asked multiple other questions about my decision to enroll immediately in the UB JD/MBA program, for example:  Why didn’t I take a gap year? Why I didn’t I apply to other schools? Why didn’t I start working right away? As I continued to be asked questions like this, I was able to not only strengthen this answer, but I was also able to define my career plan more clearly.

At 21 years old, I have few responsibilities, and I have always had a passion for travel and meeting people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Even with all the freedom to decide where to go and what I want to do, I sought admission to the UB JD/MBA program. I believe that it will give me the framework to apply and leverage my skills to achieve both my short- and long-term goals.

Making the choice to jump right into graduate school has advanced my understanding of business and its functions and allowed me to mold a lifestyle that is conducive to my personal needs and goals. One of the most valuable lessons that I have extracted from my MBA experience thus far has been the formation of new relationships and the fortification of old ones, whether it be peers, faculty members or professionals. I’ve already experienced personal growth within the University at Buffalo’s environment, and I am excited to continue my education to gain more experience to better serve my community. Eventually, I want to be able to use my business and legal knowledge to better the world around me and I believe that the UB JD/MBA program has and will continue to act as an accelerant to accomplish this goal to give back and make an impact in the Buffalo community.

Grace Conrad, JD/MBA '27

Bio: My name is Grace Conrad. I am from a small town called Wayland, NY, and I found a love for Buffalo due to my siblings moving and living here after they graduated from college. My siblings are 20 and 16 years older than me, so while I was growing up a trip to Buffalo always was surrounded by a celebration. This is where my fondness for the area grew. My passion for Buffalo continued throughout my undergraduate career. I was able to graduate Summa Cum Laude with degrees in Law and Business Administration. In addition, I was able to participate in the Honors College as well as the School of Management Honors Program. Throughout my undergraduate education I have been able to travel both domestically and internationally while also being able to spend time with my family. Outside of school, I have been able to gain professional experience. From interning at a law office, assisting operations at a financial advising partnership and sitting on a board of a non-profit, I have really been able to gain lots of “on the job” experience. During my personal time you will probably find me cooking or eating. I love making new recipes and making dinner after a stressful school day. Another one of my favorite things to do is find and try new restaurants within the area whether it be Friday night snacks or Sunday brunches. I also love to travel—close to home or across the world, I love to see the world and meet new people and gain their perspectives.