Selected Journal Articles:
- Flood, V. J. (2021). The secret multimodal life of IREs: Looking more closely at representational gestures in a familiar questioning sequence. Linguistics and Education, 63, 100913.
- Flood, V. J., Shvarts, A., & Abrahamson, D. (2020). Teaching with embodied learning technologies for mathematics: Responsive teaching for embodied learning, ZDM Mathematics Education, (52)7, 1307-1331.
- Flood, V. J. (2018). Multimodal revoicing as an interactional mechanism for connecting scientific and everyday concepts. Human Development, 61(3), 145-173.
- Flood, V. J. (Accepted). Embodiment in Education. In L. Shapiro & S. Spaulding, (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Embodied Cognition (2nd Edition). Routledge.
- Flood, V. J. (In Press). Mathematical enskilment: Embodied apprenticeship in mathematical taskscapes. In Edwards, L. D. & Krause, C. M. The body in mathematics: Theoretical and methodological lenses. Brill.
- Flood, V. J., Shvarts, A., Abrahamson, D. (2022) Responsive teaching for embodied learning with technology. In S. Macrine & Fugate, J. (Eds.), Movement matters: How embodied cognition informs teaching and learning. MIT Press.
- DeLiema, D., Dahn, M., Flood, V. J., Asuncion, A., Abrahamson, D., Enyedy, N., Steen, F. F. (2020). Debugging as a context for collaborative reflection on problem-solving processes. In E. Manolo (Ed.), Deeper Learning, Dialogic Learning, and Critical Thinking: Research-based Strategies for the Classroom (pp. 209-228). Routledge.
Selected Proceedings Papers:
- Flood, V. J. & Harrer, B. W. (In Press) How Kinetically-Held Gestures Support Collaborative Problem Solving in Physics. In P. Blikstein, J. Van Aalst, R. Kizito, & K. Brennan (Eds.). Proceedings of the 17th International Conference of the Learning Sciences. Montreal, Canada: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Wang, X. C., Flood, V. J., & Cady, A. (2021). Computational Thinking through Body and Ego Syntonicity: Young Children’s Embodied Sense-Making Using A Programming Toy. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference of the Learning Sciences ICLS 2021. International Society of the Learning Sciences. Nominated ICLS Best Paper Award
- Flood, V. J., & Harrer, B. W. (2021). Responding to STEM Students’ Gestured Candidate Responses. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference of the Learning Sciences-ICLS 2021. International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Flood, V. J. & Harrer, B. W. (2020). How physics students re-use gestures in collaborative knowledge building. In D. Keifert (Chair), Analytical designs: Goodwin’s substrates as a tool for studying learning. In M. Gresalfi, M. & I. S. Horn (Eds.), The Interdisciplinarity of the Learning Sciences, 14th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) 2020, Volume 2 (pp. 374-381). Nashville, TN: International Society of the Learning Sciences.