Conexiones y Familiaridad

I am more than half way through my internship. I have officially been here long enough that it feels like home. I no longer wake up and wonder to myself why it’s so warm outside! (Not excited to get back to the cold). After reflecting on my time here so far, I realized how much I have changed in just eight weeks. People will tell you that getting your MSW is the hardest thing they have ever done and while I don’t disagree, this experience is coming for that top spot. However, the most difficult times bring the best rewards, and I am most certainly feeling that now. Throughout this experience, I have become more confident in my abilities and learned to be more kind to myself. Taking a leap like this has reminded me that in order to grow, we must overcome the fear of unfamiliarity.

The meeting with Fe y Alegria and Therapy Adventures

This experience has forced me to face my fears and insecurities head on, and each time I am stronger. For example, a member of the non-profit organization Therapy Adventures visited the Dominican Republic to see about expanding their organization. The non-profit organization brings therapy and other services to communities and schools in Belize, Panama, Jamaica, Ecuador, Guatemala and hopefully the Dominican Republic. I was asked to accompany Rigil, Luz, Cesar and Arnold, the vice president, operations at AHI Travel, to a different Fe y Alegria school in the community that would benefit from Therapy Adventures and Community Service Alliance’s services. We sat down with the psychology department and gave a “pitch” about the services that could be provided. The school was very interested, and the meeting went great. I was really nervous to go, and I didn’t have much confidence in my language ability. However, I was a productive member of the conversation and the knowledge and training that UB School of Social Work has given me put me in a great position. After the meeting I felt more confident with my language skills, more confident in my ideas and training as a social worker. On top of that, I now have connections to another organization that is passionate about the well-being of children and their families and has connections all around the world.

These past couple weeks have been about connection and familiarity (The title of this blog). I have created so many new connections here professionally and personally. There is a gym in Los Alcarrizos that’s a 7 minute walk from my house, that I go to about 4 times a week. The family that owns the gym have been very welcoming, they even invited me to go on a beach day trip! We went to Playa Baní, a beach just about an hour West from Los Alcarrizos. It was beautiful and on the way there we took so many pictures, I really felt like I was a part of the family. The teachers in the school have also welcomed me with open arms and I am forming more personal relationships with each of them, day by day. This week we celebrated Día Internacional de la Mujers (International women’s day), I am so proud to be a woman and to be surrounded by all of the hardworking, kind and patient women at Santo Niño Jesús Fe y Alegria.

Playa Baní
The amazing women that work at the school

I also wanted to give a little snapshot of what my typical week looks like. Monday-Friday is similar, I wake up around 6:30am and am ready with coffee in my system by 7:00am to head to the school with Luz and my housemate Paloma. Once at the school the students arrive at 7:45 and we sing the national anthem and the school pledge. I love the music that goes with the school pledge, I wish everyone could hear how amazing it sounds with the students singing over it! Then depending on the day, I will assist the school psychologist, work on my Social Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum or assist the teachers in the classroom. Wednesdays and Fridays I work with two girls for one hour to teach them English. My internship hours vary week to week, but I work about 30-40 hours a week. Once I am finished with work, I will ride with the other teachers home in a gawgaw, it’s similar to a taxi but it is a small van. Or I will go back home with Luz and Paloma. Once a week I cook dinner for everyone in the house, which usually takes up my free time before I head to bed. Other days I relax on the roof, go to the gym, catch up on my favorite shows, read or hang out with my housemates. The weekends are completely different each week, I tend to stay within the community, relaxing, going for walks but I have also traveled numerous times on the weekends. You can really make this place fit your lifestyle, to make it feel like home, to make it feel familiar.

One of my English students (With permission from the school)
View from the roof of the house