Goodbye Buffalo, NY and hello Dominican Republic

Summary

My first week in the Dominican Republic

My new kitchen
My new kitchen

So, I have officially been in the Dominican Republic for one week and I am loving it. It is a very big change from my life in Buffalo, NY. First off there is NO snow here and it is always 80 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny. I arrived at my house in Los Alcarrizos just about 1 hour from Santo Domingo. When I arrived Luz (the house Mother) and principal of the school welcomed me into her home with open arms. There are also three other volunteers living here, two from Germany and one from Spain. The one from Spain has been here for about 3 months already and is planning on staying here for a year. The two students from Germany have been here for about 5 months and are also planning on staying for a year. I have my own bedroom and share a bathroom with the two other girls in the house. We have dinner together 4 days out of the week that is prepared by one of us. I have yet to cook dinner for everyone but when I do I hope they enjoy my American cuisine! The house is just off of a main road and is very busy with people and children playing in the streets. The house across the street has three dogs that love to talk to one another, so that has been an adjustment. As for my accommodations I am feeling very comfortable here, and am excited to make lots of memories with my housemates. I arrived in Santo Domingo on Saturday and as a Buffalonian you know I had to watch the first playoff game on Sunday. Rigil, the director of my stay here, invited me to go to dinner with his family and explore some of the city. I was able to watch the game at lunch with his family and I am happy to report THEY WON!!

Watching the bills game with Rigil and his family

My internship is located in Batey which is about 15 minutes driving from my house in Los Alcarrizos. During my first week I was introduced to all of the teachers in the school. The school is called Santo Ninos Jesus Fe y Alegria and has students ages 4 to 9 years old. In the school they are implementing Montessori practices so that the students not only get an education but also life skills. They have been so nice and all of the other teachers and school personnel have been so welcoming and accepting of my lack of Spanish. Some things that are different than the U.S is that there are maybe 25-30 students in one class room with only one teacher, so it can be difficult for them to manage. There is also a time in the school called almuerzo, which is essentially nap time for one hour after all the students eat, then they have about two classes left after that is over. The students love us volunteers and are always so happy to see us when they arrive at the school, giving big smiles and many hugs. They refer to me as professor Jay, because Ejayah is difficult to say or the teacher with 5 tattoos. In Los Alcarrizos and Batey people do not have tattoos because it can be dangerous to get because of the cleanliness, so for me to have 5 tattoos (only three they can see) is crazy!

Santo Ninos Jesus Fe y Alegria
Santo Ninos Jesus Fe y Alegria
Permission of the school
With permission of the school

I have the opportunity to advance my Spanish here during my pasantia (internship) by having conversations with the community and taking Spanish classes every Tuesday and Thursday with Maria Christina. She is a teacher in a public school in Los Alcarrizos and teaches English, French and Spanish to her students. She has been a great teacher so far and I have learned about the different expressions here in the Dominican Republic and what to watch out for while I am living here. It has been very helpful and I am excited to continue to learn more about the culture and the language.

Zona Colonial
Zona Colonial

During my first week I have just been getting acclimated to my new life here and understanding my role in the school and as a housemate. But I have been able to see Zona Colonial, Dominican Republic with my housemates. Zona Colonial was the first city built by the Spanish on the American continent in the 1500’s. It has beautiful architecture and a lot of history, too much to write in one blog. So please feel free to read more about the zone if it interests you! My first week here has been a success and I am ready for my new life in the Dominican Republic and will update you all on my new adventures 🙂

Hasta la proxima vez! (Until next time)

3 thoughts on “Goodbye Buffalo, NY and hello Dominican Republic

1. Margie Quartley

Ejayah, it was great meeting with you yesterday online. This blog entry gives us a great glimpse into your experience so far. I am glad to hear about the supportive people around you. I look forward to keeping up with your posts and seeing the great work you are doing as well as the transformative experience for you being in the Dominican Republic.

Reply
  2. pashelly

Ejayhah, this post gives me a real sense of what your D.R. arrival and immersion in a new language, locale, and culture was like. It sounds like there are many who are assisting you to your new home for the semester. I wonder, did the “old-timers” from Germany and Spain had helpful tips for you? I’m looking forward to reading more about your adventures in D.R.!

Reply