Summer Start = Success

Written by: Prateek Sharma, MSBA ’24

The scorching summer of 2023 marked the beginning of a journey that would ultimately lead to the coveted Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program at the University at Buffalo. The program’s summer start proved to be incredibly favorable for students like me, hailing from diverse backgrounds and corners of the world. 

My journey had taken me from IT problem-solving to the world of data-driven insights, a transition I eagerly embraced. Armed with a bachelor’s degree in technology, where I specialized in information technology, I was ready to take the next step towards a dynamic career that blended my technical background with the exciting realm of data analytics. 

The University at Buffalo’s MSBA program was always my top choice, thanks to its comprehensive curriculum and dedicated faculty. To my delight, this year’s program included a summer semester, featuring subjects crucial to my future success: Database Management Systems and Spreadsheet and Statistical Programming for Business.  

The summer semester, set against the backdrop of the local climate and temperatures, offered several distinct benefits. It provided me with an opportunity to gradually acclimate to the Buffalo environment, making the transition much smoother, especially for an international student like me coming from the city of Kurukshetra, near New Delhi, India, where the weather is typically warmer. 

The extended timeframe allowed me more opportunities to explore the campus, the city and the university’s culture. This extra time proved invaluable for building a support system, forming connections and getting to know my fellow students, thus reducing the challenges that typically come with starting a new chapter in a foreign land. 

Networking was also a crucial aspect of my preparations. I reached out to alumni of the MSBA program seeking advice and guidance. This not only provided me with a deeper understanding of the program but also allowed me to establish connections that now prove invaluable. 

In conclusion, my summer beginning, which included the critical subjects of Database Management Systems and Spreadsheet and Statistical Programming for Business, served as the launchpad for my success in the MSBA program at UB. It underscored the importance of preparation, determination and the invaluable support of mentors and peers. The MSBA program has opened doors to a world of opportunities, and I look forward to making the most of this educational journey.  

To all prospective UB students, know that you’re not alone. Whether you’re navigating campus life, course choices or adjusting to a new culture, there are resources and fellow students here to help. Feel free to reach out with any questions you have. Good luck! 

Bio: Prateek, originally hailing from Kurukshetra, a city near New Delhi, India, is a versatile individual with a unique blend of experiences and skills. With a background in Information Technology and eight years of expertise in the field of digital marketing, his last professional role was as a Digital Marketing Manager for a software company based in India. In this role, he successfully crafted online strategies, optimized user experiences, and drove growth through digital platforms.  

Currently pursuing a Master’s in Business Analytics at UB, Prateek is an enthusiastic explorer, constantly seeking new adventures and embracing challenges. Beyond his professional journey, Prateek is a true lover of books, art, and meaningful conversations. He strongly believes in the power of kindness and the magic of a smile to bridge cultural gaps. As an international student himself, he understands the excitement and challenges that newcomers may face and is dedicated to assisting prospective students in navigating their academic and campus life choices at UB.