If you’re a woman living with a problem drinker, we can offer help
Does your husband or boyfriend drink too much? Are you scared, stressed, or worried about the problems caused by his drinking? If it feels like you’re “spinning your wheels” when you try to deal with his drinking, we’re here to offer help. Read more about joining our online program below. Or click or tap the “Take the Self-Screen Now” button to see if it’s a good fit for you.
Notice 3/18/2020. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and possible program staff shortages, we are not scheduling new participants over the next 90 days. However, we encourage you to still take the self-screen to see if the project is right for you. If it seems right for you, and you’re interested, you can get on our confidential wait-list by scheduling, online, a phone call with our staff. This phone call will be scheduled for a day/time beyond the 90-day period. To explore other resources, click or tap the Other Resources button on this page. Thank you for your understanding.
His drinking problem is your problem too
The Stop Spinning My Wheels Program is a research and treatment program evaluating ways designed to help you:
- Lower your stress
- Improve your life
- Stay safe
- Possibly motivate him to do something about his drinking
Confidential, online, no charge
The Stop Spinning My Wheels program is:
- Confidential and secure
- An online program, available 24/7
- Provided at no charge
- Designed for women living with a spouse or partner who has a drinking problem
- Available to residents of New York State
How to join the program
- Click or tap the “Take the Self-Screen Now” button
- Answer the self-screening questions (approximately 5 minutes)
- After the self-screening questions, you will see a message on the website letting you know if you are eligible to continue
- If you are eligible and you want to continue, you can read more information, and schedule a phone interview
- After the phone interview, you will be notified if the program is a good fit for you
If you feel uncomfortable answering the self-screen questions online, you can call our staff at 716-887-2484 (toll-free from a landline: 1-800-679-3010).
What to expect
If you are selected for the program, you will:
- Complete the program at your own pace, from the comfort of your home, or a location of your choosing
- Learn from watching videos, reading, or interacting with a website
- Participate in research phone interviews and online questionnaires (five times over the course of 15 months)
- Be paid for your time completing the interviews
A research program from university professionals
Stop Spinning My Wheels is part of a research program designed to evaluate different ways of helping women like you, and was developed by professionals. This research is being conducted by the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, in collaboration with the University of Oregon Prevention Science Institute. It is operated through the Clinical and Research Institute on Addictions at the University at Buffalo, a national leader in addiction research.
Request more information
Please call 716-887-2484 (or toll-free from a landline: 800-679-3010) for more information. After hours, you can leave a confidential voice message with your first name, phone number, and best times to reach you.