Childline was founded by Ms. Jeroo Billimoria, who was then a professor at the Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS), Mumbai in 1996. Childline is an organization that provides a hotline (1098) for street children to call when they are in a crisis. Childline will provide protection and services to the children 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Childline is able to link children to rehabilitation services, as well as long term care.
The agency’s target demographic includes:
- Street children and youth living alone on the streets.
- Child labourers working in the unorganised and organized sectors.
- Domestic help, especially girl domestics.
- Children affected by physical / sexual / emotional abuse in family, schools or institutions.
- Children who need emotional support and guidance.
- Children of commercial sex workers
- Child victims of the flesh trade
- Victims of child trafficking
- Children abandoned by parents or guardians
- Missing children.
- Run away children.
- Children who are victims of substance abuse
- Differently-abled children
- Children in conflict with the law
- Children in institutions
- Mentally challenged children
- HIV/ AIDS infected children
- Children affected by conflict and disaster
- Child political refugees
- Children whose families are in crises
A child – friendly nation that guarantees the rights and protection of all children.
- To reach out to every child in need of care and protection by responding to emergencies on 1098.
- Awareness about CHILDLINE 1098 amongst every Indian child.
- To provide a platform of networking amongst organisations and to provide linkages to support systems that facilitate the rehabilitation of children in need of care and protection.
- To work together with the Allied Systems (Police, Health Care, Juvenile Justice, Transport, Legal, Education, Communication, Media, Political and the Community) to create child friendly systems.
- To advocate services for children that are inaccessible or non existent.
- To create a body of NGOs and Government organisations working within the national framework and policy for children.
- To be a nodal child protection agency in the country, providing child protection services to children in need of care and protection.
- To contribute and work towards strengthening and participating in a global movement that addresses issues related to child protection and ensures that children’s voices are heard.
All information was retrieved and can be found at http://www.childlineindia.org.in/1098/1098.htm.