Week 8

Something unrelated to my internship but still interesting all the same, I think, is the discussion about identity. It seems that as a human species, identity is one of the most important things we strive to achieve whether it’s a job title, nationality, education level, “mom,” etc. I think people strive for an identity which is most apparent in Western, individualist culture, in finding “who they are.” It’s also interesting how we identify ourselves changes depending on the context. One’s identity is based on the context of which they are referring to. For example, in the United States, if someone asks me what my heritage is I would state Irish, French, and German. But in India, or anywhere else abroad, I’m “Western” or American. Similarly, one of my roommates who is from the Czech Republic stated that when she is home in the Czech Republic, she identifies as Slovakian because when she was born her country was still Czechoslovakia and and split shortly after she was born. But, when she is in India, she stated she identifies as purely Czech because that is the country that she lives in.

In the context of India, I speculate identity becomes even more engrained in a person’s self-worth when discussing the culture of the caste system and what that means for that person. Also, how people identify with the state they’re from, the region, their village, and “root,” in addition to their specific caste. As a result of these things, Indians are often forced to stay within the confines of certain societal limitations specifically when talking about marriages. On a global scale, generally, ones’ identity determines their livelihood, economic status, and general life path. I think it’s important to be aware of how identify our self and what the circumstances are surrounding our definition of ourselves.

INTERNSHIP:

This week at my internship I began gathering qualitative data by interviewing Childline care coordinators about the repatriation process. I asked the following questions:

1. What does “counseling” a family after repatriation mean?
  2. Does the structure of your counseling session stay the same with each family, or does it vary on a case-by-case basis?
  3. What are the main topics discussed during a typical counseling session?
  4. Is the whole family household present during the counseling session?
  5. Does the likelihood of a child running away from home decrease after the repatriation process is completed by a Childline Staff?
  6. Are you familiar with any clinical, evidence-based interventions? If so, which ones?

The goal of the interviews was to learn about the extent of care coordinators’ knowledge of clinical interventions and implementation to families. During the repatriation process, a Childline staff will provide counseling to the families to ensure that parents understand how to maintain an appropriate household for the children, as well as decrease the likelihood of the children running away again. Based on my initial literature review, professional social work is new and overall lacks accreditation and formal structures for implementation. This is what struck my interest in learning about the counseling implementation provided to families. I will complete the interviews by next week.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail